Thursday, August 15, 2013

Home made root beer

For my cousins birthday I decided to make home made root beer. 
Since I wanted to start easy I decided to use a root beer extract. 

First I dissolved  a heaping 1/8 tsp champagne yeast in a cup of 98 degree farenheit water and let stand for 5 min
We found root beer extract at our local hobby store.
Shake the root beer extract well. Add a table spoon of extract and 2 cups of sugar to 4 cups water. 
Add yeast mix to the extract mix

Add 11 cups of warm water


Fill 2 sterilized 2 liter bottles 2 inches from the top with the root beer and seal tightly
In order to sterilize our bottles, we poured boiling water into them and dumped it out.
Lay the bottles on their sides to test for leaks. 
Age 3-4 days at room temperature.  Check the bottles for fimness and once they are hard, move them to the refrigerator for 2 weeks.  We made root beer floats with ours and it turned out great! 
Enjoy





No comments:

Post a Comment